Moving from home at only 17...


For most people, moving away whilst you're young might seem like a crazy thing to do. It can be a daunting world out there, you hear stories each and every day which are parents worst nightmares. Or shall I say, my parents worst nightmares.

I've never been the simple child, I've always wanted a bit more from life. I've driven my mother stir-crazy with the constant chat of travel, exploring countries miles and miles away and being away from home. I'm always talking about travel, places I want to visit and job opportunities which will take me there, but my family are so very different.

You see, they haven't traveled or seen many places. In fact, they've lived in Plymouth all of their lives. That just doesn't appeal to me. Although Plymouth can be very beautiful, I see staying there as seeing only a pin prick of the whole world, when I want to see every last part of it!

As you might have read, I've recently decided to take a job as an Aupair. It will be my first experience as an Aupair and the longest time I have been away from my family, so it's no wonder that they are worried sick!

The job requires me to move away from home and to live with my Host Family, who I will be working for. I'm so excited to be moving away and starting something new, finally getting to see a bit more of the UK. It will also give my parents the chance to relax a little bit - before I head off to the other side of the world next year! Roll on Australia 2015 baby!

Usually, a contract is written up for both the Aupair and Host family to sign and agree upon, but this opportunity is slightly different. It's so relaxed, everything seems so calm and there isn't a strict time of how long I will be staying with the Callaghans. However, they've already invited me on their holidays for next summer! How lovely is that!

I'm so very excited to meet my host family, to move into my new bedroom with en-suite (fancy!) and to explore what Bexhill has to offer. I'll be only a short 1 hour 15 minutes distance from London, which is also quite exciting as I've never seen the beautiful city and what it has to offer.

It will also give me the chance to look after young Fraser and sometimes Hope - both under the ages of 5. These pair are too cute for life! Little dude Fraser will be 2 next year and so I can develop my childcare skills for younger children, making my profile more appealing to other Host families if I should wish to further my Aupair career in the future.

Hope is shy of 4. She is an absolute princess who has been known to help out, be friendly and ask for cuddles all of the time. Next and finally there is Joshua, aged 10 also known as "stinky kid" who likes to go out to play, give some attitude but over all be a mummy's boy!

I am really looking forward to meeting all of the children and I can't wait to settle in with the Callaghans, I've definitely picked a lovely family.

Moving away is a big step, although I am really excited. It means being away from home, for a longer period of time than I ever have been away before.

A lot of people have asked me questions about moving, such as:


What if you don't like the family? What if you hate being away from home? Why do you want to give up your apprenticeship and move away? 

My answers have all been the same. I'm moving away because I wish to see the world and take on challenges. I wish to take these opportunities and experience a different way of working and life. I'll never know what I'll feel being away from home until I try and nothing is permenant in life. If this experience doesn't work out, then it's not the end of the world. There are always other opportunites or life paths that I can take, but I need to try otherwise I'll never know.

Getting people to understand that taking risks is important to me, it's a learning journey and trying to explain to other people is quite difficult, especially with a family who keep trying to change my mind. Being so young but yet so full of charisma and hard work is tough in the working world. It's often that we don't get taken seriously or we aren't considered to meet "requirements" for jobs - which is understandable. But I honestly believe that the younger generation have much more to offer, other than the stereotypical theory that we all sit behind our computers, smart phones and gaming systems each day - some of us just want the chance to prove ourselves and change that theory!

Not being old enough is no excuse in my eyes. The sooner I'm out and about, exploring the mountains, working through diners in America and back packing around Thailand and Australia, the better. I know I have my whole life ahead of me, but it's not guaranteed.

My family are always telling me I rush into things or asking if I can wait until I'm older - but why? I don't want to waste any time, this is the perfect period to start my adventure. The time of having no bills, no mortgage to pay, no grown up responsibilities. I'll save that for later, thanks!

At the end of each day, I always remember a famous little saying that explains it all to me. It's always reminding me that no, I'm not actually crazy, I'm just doing things differently and taking on challenges, after all I believe that's what life is really about!

Here's a few of my favourite life quotes, enjoy!

"Opportunities are life sunrises. If you wait too long, you miss them." 

William Arthur Ward.

"Life gives us choices. You either grab on with both hands and just go for it, or you sit on the sidelines." 

Christine Feehan.


"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is. " 

Albert Einstein

There are many more, but I'll crop it to three for now before I get carried away! I'm a big fan of quotes, writing and expressing myself through pictures, etc. I find it's a great way to let my thoughts out, without actually saying anything.

My Pinterest is full of quotes, girly make up, cities and photography and much more. Want to find out for yourself? Sure! Click here to find my profile.

I move away from home tomorrow, Friday 21st of November and I'm excited nervous to say the least. My train journey, featuring 4 trains and 2 London Underground tubes, will take almost 7 hours so please - feel free to comment if you have any questions, feedback or need some advice - I'll always get back to you.

Wish me luck!! Eeeeeeeeek.

Bye for now...
Lauren x x

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram