Helsinki February 2016 - Finland


Finland 11th – 14th February

After months of harassment from my dear friend Amanda, who was currently living and working in the Finnish capital of Helsinki, I finally agreed that my budget could afford a short trip and I began my plans to visit Amanda over the valentine’s weekend. How romantic am I though.
A week before I was due to depart, I set off on Google to find the best flight deals available for a short weekend break. Hunting high and low, I found a very good deal on Travel2Be – a straight forward and welcoming website for travel transport.

My mind was set – I was going to Finland!


I’d be lying to you if I said Finland has always been on my bucket list, although I never say no to any place around the Globe. I suppose if I were to think of Finland initially, I would think of Lapland and igloos and snow-mobiles powered by Husky’s. Can I just say… I LOVE HUSKY’S!

Snow is in fact something I did pleasantly come across. Amanda and newly found friends told how it seemed to snow every time they had a visitor, and much to my delight, the weather stayed perfect all weekend!

Tip - Visiting Finland in early February is a good idea if you want to catch the winter months before they start to fade and the snow stops but also don’t wish to feel the -10 or -20 degrees which is common in a Finnish winter. Also Finland is quite expensive - I took around 80 euros for a 2 day trip which was enough for everything I wanted to do.

I arrived in Helsinki at 11pm on Thursday 11th February, allowing me to meet Amanda and catch a train to their shared apartment. Luckily for me there was no need to book a place to stay as I could stay with Amanda, so I saved myself some extra pennies! I’d already ruled Thursday out as a travel day – although I did manage to get some pretty city light snaps as I took off from London Heathrow!


Waking up on Friday morning was a dream. The roads, cars and trees were all covered in a white blanket of snow! Amanda was working this morning so I had the place to myself for a few hours. Lay in for me thank you! I usually like to make the most of my time in a short city stay – but this once, after a full day commute, sleep was important.  

Once Amanda had finished her shift and returned home to collect me – we set off with Airvin, a fellow Plymouth friend, to explore Helsinki!

Day 1 #


Catching the bus in the middle of a fast-paced highway was pretty strange. Also I soon realised that Finland OBVIOUSLY drive on the opposite side of the road to the UK. How stupid of me. A few near=-misses, a swipe of my travel card and a 20 minute drive on the highway and we were in the city centre!

You would think that the city would be lulled to sleep by the cold winters and dark nights. In fact, it’s far from hibernating. The city was bustling with energy with shoppers, site see-ers and workers, all of which reminded me a little bit of London with people rushing around in different directions. Stopping off at the mouth-watering Friends & Brgrs. Just look at it…


Helsinki is very beautiful. The buildings are all very different. From old, to modern, to Ballamory-style colours (pink, blue, yellow, green, purple shades), from cathedrals, to markets, to trams – the city is spilling with a diverse attraction and plenty of things to do for students.



Visiting in February’s winter allowed me to picture the city with snow, a frozen ocean and ice filled big wheel and market stalls. It also allowed me to stay warm-ish as the temperature hopped from 0 – 1 – 2 degrees throughout the day.

We explored the popular and well-known Senate Square which hosts the white cathedral which is one of the most recognised buildings of Helsinki. A great thing about the city is how compact it is, and for an avid walker, the distances aren’t far away from each other.


Hopping on and off the frequent and convenient trams, which was my first time EVER on a tram can I just add, was a quick and easy way of getting from place to place if the distance was a little too far for our tourist legs.


We explored along the promenade, in view of the frozen ocean and icicle ridden pier. After this we followed our taste buds and wandered around the Old Market Hall, where fresh foods produce and plenty of yummy-looking cakes were found. My friends also took me to a very lovely and posh café and bar called Kappeli. With 140 years of experience and situated overlooking the Esplanadi park, it’s not far from the markets and offers a great cosy atmosphere especially in the winter months!


After a spot of window shopping, Amanda and Airvin took me to Torni Hotel in Kamppi where I saw the stunning view across the city in their rooftop bar and diner. Regardless of the short spell of winter rain and wind, the pictures do not do the view justice! Image this being your balcony view?




To finish of our little day of adventure, we stopped off at Airvins work to take a look around as it so happens to be a former prison dating back to 1837. Hotel Katajanokka, which is actually a Best Western Premier hotel, has its modern rooms situated in the previous cells of inmates. Downstairs is a very snazzy bar and sauna – Finland is known for its saunas – and a small education of history with its unchanged areas of the building, such as a unchanged cell and isolation cave where inmates were once kept for days… creepy!



Of course, we stopped off and had a Roberts Coffee and headed back to the apartment for some dinner. Catching the bus back was so easy – the bus station is right in the middle of the city and is a strip with lots of different buses parked alongside each other, it would be very hard to get lost or not find your way home!

Day 2 #


Today we set off slightly earlier to catch a longer period of light, as the current daylight was around 5 hours in Helsinki. Again, it had been snowing quite heavily throughout the night so we woke up to a wonderful new blanket of white fresh snow to crunch under our boots! The sunshine was out, which was perfect as Amanda had a water-side walk planned for us and yet more colourful buildings in the Design District area of town!


“Design District Helsinki brings together creative people in the heart of Helsinki. The district covers Punavuori, Kaartinkaupunki, Kamppi and Ullanlinna.” The buildings tend to be bright and colourful, with art features and funky looking windows, etc.


Despite the weather being only 1-2 degrees today, Saturday 13th February, the skies were filled with blue spells and the walkways were ice-free which was fabulous. No slipping or sliding for me!

After a short 10 minute tram ride to UIlanlinna, passing various tall buildings and busy streets, we were welcomed with a peaceful part of the city. A small 5 minute and we arrived at the frozen water-side, situated overlooking the ocean from the other side of the city. The view reminded me of the North Pole, when you find pictures of broken up pieces of ice which made up the ocean.



We walked along the path and stopped at various areas to take some photos. A really picturesque place was Kaivopuisto – we stopped off for a romantic hand holding picture on a small dock. Reaching the top of a lookout point, we stopped off for more photos and took in the view as we could see the whole of the city and ocean in both directions.


Around this area of town, you see a lot more park areas and grass. I’m only just realising this – but the main centre of Helsinki is so modern with buildings that there isn’t any grass! On our round trip around Helsinki we also popped into the Rock Church in Temppeliaukio.

Before heading to Aldi and picking up some ingredience for our home-made pizza, we finished the day with a trip to the Kiasma museum. 


Designed by Steven Holl and finished in 1998, the building itself is still a symbol of the city’s modernisation.



Much like any museum, the artists and collections are often changing. The collections on view on Saturday were amazing!




To end my final day of exploring Helsinki, we devoured some tasty pizza and got an early night. Unfortunately the catch with cheaper flights is the awkward or useless timescales, but none the less my plane left this cold but lovely place at 8am on Sunday Morning.

Overall, I would definitely recommend visiting Helsinki! I’d imagine it’s beautiful in the summer with the ocean bright blue and the markets in full force, there is plenty to do with your time in the capital. With lots of places to eat, drink, visit or learn about in its many museums. The food chains are very diverse, with lots of sushi bars, burger bars, Mediterranean and of course, Finnish.

So if you’re ever stuck of a place to visit… Go to Finland. You’ll be pleasantly surprised!



Speak soon, Lauren xx

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram